Monday, May 11, 2015

Healing, Needs and the Fallacy of Manipulations



‘Da Troof!
How honest are we, really? I mean self-honesty, not the easy kind where we do our taxes right or tell someone else they have a piece of spinach in their teeth. But the real, deep-seated, hard-to-admit/ouch-that-hurts/am-I –really-like-that kind of honesty. Experiencing the feeling of epiphany when even discovering the topic and coming to understand it (as I am trying to) would seem to be an indicator that I have little actual experience of being truly self-honest when I’m just now getting a grasp of what self-honesty actually is. As always, there are examples.
I want something from someone. It scarcely matters what that thing is, I just want it: praise, affection, a cookie…who cares. This person isn’t stepping up to meet my needs to my satisfaction (and after all I’VE done for this relationship! That’s a joke, by the way, and a pertinent one as you will see) so I slip a dagger slyly into their ribs, some cut-down, some jab. The attack, for that is certainly what it amounts to, may even be based on some factual instance or behavior, as we are all imperfect creatures and wide open to criticism, but my motivation is unsound and unhealthy and quite selfish. Let’s say I’m just lonely, feeling hurt and alone. I “reach out” to someone, if that’s what one calls a heavily landed psychological blow from an uncaring flailing fist! Because they didn’t respond or respond favorably to my expectations I point out a fault or failing of theirs, a course of action sure to further deteriorate an already twisted scenario. If they’re wise they simply avoid the whole mess and don’t engage with someone who’s approaching them in such a manner and with such a motivation, and in fact our gut instincts are usually correct about how “safe” or gentle the intentions of another human being are; we can just tell, and get a bad vibe when it doesn’t feel right. If they do engage it is unlikely, since I’m now getting what I wanted which is their attention (positive or negative), that I will recognize the poor basis and motivation of my own approach. Or it may just devolve into a fight, which might also be what I wanted…scary thought, but not without merit. Don't get me wrong here. I'm not talking about jumping out of a dark alley and screaming at someone like a slathering psychopath. The original approach (which I have both given and received many times) is usually something very subtle like, "I guess you're real busy these days, huh?" Don't buy it. What's really being said is, "I guess you're too busy to care about me as a human being because you're so wrapped up in yourself while I suffer like a dumb animal." That may not come out of my mouth, but it's pretty close to what's coming out of my heart.
But let’s say they don’t respond and don’t take the bait. Silence ensues. That heavy, thought-provoking silence which is sometimes just another person being very busy (or just not giving a squat) or maybe their guts are telling them to steer clear. In that silence I am faced with my own intentions for initiating the original assault. More silence. I’m now officially out of “the river” (the flow of God’s Holy Spirit where intentions mean everything). I sense this about myself and am sensitive to it, fairly close to a redeeming quality if ever there was one! So I apologize, filling the silence. Or do I?
“Hey, I was just kidding! I didn’t mean anything by it.”
That…is a lie.
I wasn’t kidding. I did mean something by it. I wanted your attention, I wanted you to comfort me, I wanted to get things from you which should come from myself or from God or which I should be doing without like a grownup. But you didn’t respond the way I wanted, and since there’s a nugget in every sinful nature that wants to be God and control other human beings (ironic, since God loves and respects free will more than anyone), I lashed out. Now I’m adding manipulation to my crime of being pathetic, adding injury to insult as it were. It’s not MY fault for being needy and manipulative, you see. It’s YOUR fault because you don’t know how to take a “joke”. Indeed. Was there a joke anywhere in this mess? I think not. Definitely a joke-free environment, and you can always tell because, well, it wasn’t funny. It was manipulation, trying to get others to do what I want, to get my “needs” met at no expense to myself and with minimal effort. Recognizing this behavior is a good step, and recognizing the unmet needs is an even better one. I wasn’t being funny, I was being frustrated but not ready to give up yet, so I made it your fault instead of stepping up and accepting responsibility for manipulative behavior. Sometimes I may succeed in making you feel bad, which drags me farther into denial about the original intent, but more often than not I’ve just twisted myself and the situation to a point where I can’t see my way out of it. That’s why silence is, indeed, quite golden at tmes.
So what’s the truth, or ‘da troof? The truth is that we’re all hurt, we all have injuries that create a sense of need. I am not only not an exception I’m a poster boy for hurt! But is the solution to my hurt a pain pill, a feel good instance? Will it really help me to have someone feel sorry for me in my state and put some emotional salve on the wound instead of addressing it? No, in fact that’s the worst thing that can happen because the wound itself is never addressed, only the selfish need to “feel better” is at issue here. The wound can only be healed by God. People can, and sometimes should, be there for comfort but one should never have to beg or coerce. They might actually be quite busy with their own hurts and a mess like this may be interfering with their own healing path, that place of healing that only exists between God and human being. I originally reached out/lashed out because I did not want to go to God for healing. I probably don’t like the way He does business or trust Him enough to do it right, and that speaks entirely for itself. But His healing is healing, and far better than the band-aid I would receive from another human being. Compassion, yes. Empathy, sure. Nothing wrong with any of that in healthy doses. But using another to avoid God, no we probably need to draw the line there.
As an addendum, the responses of others can be brutal in these situations, which sort of turns the table on the needy aggressor and can exacerbate a conflagration. Instead of kind, gentle words of “Hey, what’s really bothering you?” the approached person may lash out in their own turn. This has happened to me, from a family member. They were right, of course; I was being manipulative. But because they’d been the victim of many manipulations in the past their response was inordinate and angry in its own right. In such an instance you just come clean about it, man up, admit your fault and as much of your motivation as you can see, apologize and move on with a vow to try never to do it again. I can’t help your hurt which manifested itself in such ire at being twisted up, nor can I expect you to help with mine. Supporting each other is a different matter from playing god/healer with each other, and gentleness is almost always a fine approach, laced with firmness at times, because gentleness avoids the whole tug-of-war approach of human nature which, when you pull one way commands me to pull the other.
So (speaking to the rest of humanity), I’ll make you a deal: I’ll not turn to you for soul healing and try to manipulate you into doing what I want for my own needs if you’ll correct me gently and not lash out in your own turn. And vice versa. It may take some work but with self-awareness and a good heart, self-honesty

No comments:

Post a Comment