Saturday, November 8, 2014

The Patron Saint of Transcending Love

Her name is Terri Calvesbert and she's beautiful.
When she was less than 2 years old there was a house fire...many will make big of the details in the ever-present blame game, but I'm relatively sure no one intended to burn a beautiful baby girl beyond recognition. She cooked in her crib. It's the kind of tragedy that wrenches the soul, that sells many newspapers, that inflates the egos of many writers as they tweak reader's souls with poignancy and then tell themselves "job well done" before moving on to the next project. Terri, however, continues... and continues to amaze.
The fire scorched 90% of her infant's body. It destroyed her hair, nose, her lips, her ears, her fingers and one of her feet. She's 17 now, and interested in boys. My heart sings when I think of this girl, for she encompasses....ENCOMPASSES...beauty. I love her, but then again I pretty much love everybody. But she's outdone me, and probably always will: she loves the person who started the fire. It wasn't deliberate, but it was a stupid accident that could have been easily prevented. And what does Terri say? "It's okay. People make mistakes." Understand, please, that because of the scarring Terri's skin doesn't grow and stretch anymore. She has to have surgery just to fit into her own body, and all of them are painful. Even the reporters, at least one of whom is lovingly devoted to Terri's story, have lost track of how many times she's been in the operating room.
You really just have to see this girl in action. She is something to see. Witness her hugging her friends and family with hands that have no fingers. See her go bowling. See her eat french fries. See her smile. But don't take my word for it:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jyUsL2PfclY
I remember a day not too distant when I raised my fist to heaven and cursed because something in my daily life didn't go my way. I've raged in traffic, yelled at loved ones who've disappointed me, been angry at pets and strangers and even at God Himself. And never once did I at those times express gratitude that my skin fit, that my fingers could curl into a fist, that I had lips to form around those words of cursing or ears to hear the silent hurt that God must feel when one of His children acts like a spoiled ass. I'm so very important, I thought to myself. And beautiful! And smart and clever and awesome. Pah! The old adage holds true...there are those on this planet whose shoes I am not worthy to latch, and as Terri goes to her high school prom surrounded by people whose own lives have been transcended by her courage and by her very existence, I am reminded of my smallness and inspired to greatness by Terri's own transcendence.
I wish I were a little younger so that I could be her prom date, maybe even sneak a smooch out of the deal. You know, one of those real kisses that means something, that forges a union between two souls...especially when one soul is more mature, more developed, more lovely, more wonderful than my own. Now THAT'S a smooch, one for the record books. I live for such smooches, and always (as a bachelor) seek out someone better than myself. But I'm too old for her, and she's too good for me, although she would be the last to say so. But a man can dream, can't he? And a man can be inspired by the relentless courage and beauty of spirit of someone who has transcended human existence in this thin, material world. Such is Terri Calvesbert. She's my hero. She's my hottie. She knows how to love and knows it well. Free of bitterness and resentment, she's a wonder and I myself wonder if I can ever be like her. But hope springs eternal!
This is not my pity party. This is the opening of my Return to Writing, long overdue. People are my profession, they always come first, they are (after God) what is best in life. I once hated life for a bad car buy from a dealership (well...I DID get ripped off!) and this angel looks in a mirror every day knowing she will never make the standard of superficial uber-hotness that plagues the existence of us all via mass media...and yet she knows more about love and more about life than some of the greatest romantic or philosophical minds that have ever lived. I intend to fulfill what God has laid out for me, to do what I'm good at and what makes me feel good: help people. Watch them transform. Be part of their transcendence. So I'll take a close look at current events and the lay of the land, add a bit of wit and sarcasm, a dose of common sense and a loving slap upside the head and do what I do best.
But my inspiration is a 17 year old girl in the UK who laughs at life and loves in spite of loss. Even now I struggle with my own shallowness as she herself doesn't consider her experiences to be loss, but calls them gain.
I take some comfort from a rather odd concept that satisfies my notion of God's justice. He is the author only of goodness, never of misery and suffering which He hates more than we do. The odd concept is this: once, long ago, in heaven when we were souls in paradise and not yet in human form, God asked us what we would like to do with our lives. When we told Him, He was quite honest about how that would come about, that there would be suffering involved and trial and heartbreak. It would hurt, but we would get there. We would become who we had chosen to be, and God would never force this upon us. The choice was ours, and we chose it.
I chose to help people transcend who they are, to be a part of them realizing their own dream for themselves in Christ's Kingdom, that Kingdom of the Heavenlies that is coming even as I write these words. Nothing brings me more joy than to see people step out of and above themselves, and to be a part of that. Such is my life's work, and one person in particular loved me enough to see through my facades and charades, to see with God's eyes who I could be and wanted to be, and I am thankful.
Terri Calvesbert perhaps chose to love and to spread love. She went for the big enchilada, and for that she is and remains my hero and my inspiration and the most beautiful woman I've ever heard of. She is the patron saint of this blog, in all the strange places it is sure to go in the realms of politics and conspiracies and spiritual warfare.
Thank you, Terri. I love you too.

No comments:

Post a Comment